.:: History of Burgos ::.
On the Northeastern portion of Siargao Island, facing the vast Pacific Ocean, lies the small town of Burgos, Siargao.
It has six barangays such as Poblacion 1, Poblacion 2, Baybay, Bitaug, Matin-ao and San Mateo.When the Spaniards came, they lived as a group in Unidad, a Sitio.
Afterwards, it was renamed Barangay Burgos in 1925 during the American regime with the seat of Municipal Government of Numancia now Del Carmen. As Sapao became a district town 1955, Burgos apllied for a township status with the assistance of Congressman Reynaldo Honrado who requested President Diosdado Macapagal to approve it. His Excellency issued Executive Order No. 293, dated November 29, 1965, converting barangay Burgos into a Municipality.
Unfortunately, a Supreme Court injunction was filed by former Senator Emmanuel Pelaez, regarding the 77 newly created towns in the whole country. It terminated as a town on February 17, 1966, lasting only two and a half months.
The dreams and sacrifices of the residents were finally redeemed when President Marcos through the efforts of the dynamic and political kingpin Congressman Constantino H. Navarro Sr., signed into law RA 5093 on July 17, 1967 which created Burgos into a seventh class municipality.
source:1970 Souvenir Program of Philippine Public Schools Inter-scholastic Athletic Association Meet (PPSIAA)