The Municipality of Pilar was created on October 28, 1953 by an Executive Order. She was formerly a barrio of the municipality of Dapa.
The town is situated at the eastern sea-coast of the island of Siargao on the side of a small gulf directly facing the vast Pacific Ocean, and approxiamtely 200 nautical miles from the Philippine Deep.
She has an ideal seaport where commercial vessels plying from mostly Cebu and the capital town of Surigao could safely dock on either of two concrete wharves.
Source: 1970 Souvenir Program of Philippine Public Schools Inter-scholastic Athletic Association Meet (PPSIAA)